About B-W Greenway Community Land Trust
A hospitable place for all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small.
Promote sustainable land use while balancing human and wildlife needs by connecting the Beaver Creek and Wenrick Wetlands with a greenway.
The "B" in the B-W represents the Beaver Creek Wetlands. The "W" represents the Estel Wenrick Wetlands.
We chose not to include the full names of the wetlands in our name to avoid confusion with the Beaver Creek Wetlands Association (BCWA). We value the amazing work this grassroots organization has done and don't want to do anything to detract from their progress. Several of our members belong to BCWA and have participated in their projects.
"Greenway" represents our goal of connecting the two wetlands described above with as much green space as possible.
"Community" was added to emphasize that humans live in our greenway and that we want to develop a sense of place.
Our Green Heart Logo
In a very introspective book, "Gray World, Green Heart," Robert Thayer makes some inferences from visual preference survey data. He concludes that we humans prefer natural settings and experiences. We have a "Green Heart" by nature! But, when we try to hide our transgressions by buffer areas, landscaping or zoning, we are isolating ourselves from nature's "true" input.
We inserted the butterfly into the middle of the green heart to emphasize that nature likes to be free and that butterflies and "all creatures great and small" are being threatened by the loss of habitat.
Our approach is to develop and implement strategies that fulfill the following goals:
- Preserve and promote natural corridors between the Beaver Creek and Wenrick Wetlands as a link in the Greater Dayton Greenbelt
- Protect ground and surface water
- Encourage sustainable agriculture
- Preserve and enhance native plant, wildlife and aquatic habitats
- Minimize pollution and consumption, including redeveloping Brownfields
- Foster sustainable land use principles through education and technical assistance
- Cultivate a sense of place based on respect for the natural, cultural and historic environment